Collection: Part Two

Reflection

June 27,2017

Today we had a lecture about methodology. Basically, this lecture is to give us some inspiration to display our collection which we collected yesterday.

Yesterday I think it was interesting to collect the packaging related to eating. But today I look at the stuff I collected, some of them are quite boring, like the packaging for jerky, it only has a plastics bag with its name on it, it is simple and crude, strictly speaking, it even does not have design. I think collection must have at least one reason for us to collect it and some of them I cannot even reason why I collected them. So I think I need to change a direction. Then I suddenly found their similarity, all regular packaging for food have nutrition fact, why cannot I collect nutrition fact of different food. Because it is impossible for normal people to collect this looks useless things, it is unusual collection, so I have more space to spread my creativity. Also, I should always challenge myself, I think through collecting unnormal stuff, it may open my mind.

I gave up my original idea and started a new idea. For us, the packaging for food is a protection, when we no longer need this function, we will throw it as a rubbish. However, I believe that it is purposeful to print nutrition fact on it, anything on the packaging has the meaning of its existence. But I may say, putting packaging design aside, almost no one notice nutrition fact and additive on it. This phenomenon let me think about how can I make people pay more attention on nutrition fact. My first idea is sewing different nutrition fact up, you can say it like a patch or a collage, I hope to through compounding this way to form a weird piece to arouse audiences’ curiosity, thus they start to notice nutrition fact.

My second method is classifying them. Different food has different nutrition, but similar food will have similarity in nutrition, like drink, puffed food, meat product and so on. Likewise, customs seldom notice similar nutrient composition of similar food, so I can make a classification for similar food. Like a series of booklet, each booklet represents a kind of food. I think an exquisite booklet can attract the attention of the audiences.

I want to put the corresponding food beside nutrition fact and place them in their corresponding food named. I can experiment this method but I not sure it would be a good method, because the point is nutrition, not the food. But through this way can let people know more about the food nutrition. I also think about using non-visual way to present them, I can record the shaking sound of food, and guess what is it, contain what nutrition. But I think this way is not a proper way to present nutrition, because it is more about food not the composition. About the third method, I think I still need to consider.

June 26,2017

Today we had a critic and started a new project “COLLECTION”.

To be honest, I am very dissatisfied with my last project. Because my thinking is not clear, so that I often fall into bottleneck. What I decided to have a deeper research and develop cannot made me really interested in, I consider it is very terrible, it just like you lose your way. Although tutors gave me some advices, I felt my thoughts were clear again, when I start with it, I was confused again. After I saw other’s work, I think my problem is the starting point. The starting point I chose gave me limited space to develop. My starting point was using different plants to make a sign. It is more like a gardening, you can only change the shape of plants and then you can do nothing. This experience tells me that a good starting point can bring you more inspiration.

About the new project, I think it is simple but challenge, because collecting something you are interested in will make you very motivated to do this, however, I think I should collect some normal but unusual thing that I have more space to develop. Then I want to collect the packaging for food. Normally, they are rubbish, but I want audience to see their other side, the can enjoy the design on it. I was not sure it is a good collection and if there is any meaning, but I consider it is a good chance for me to find the beauty around our life.

June 21,2017

Basically, we had language and study support.

I think the study support is very helpful, because it gave us a guide to let us have better research and reflection. It helped me realize that my reflection is like a dairy instead of a real reflective journal. Like I only stated something, but I did not mention the reason or the solution, improvement. It is means that the previous reflection is totally meaningless. Because what you show have no depth, audience can not  get the information which they want to know, like why you chose this method to create this work, it did not reflect you process of your thinking. 

After today's lesson, I realized that my thought is important, you need it to show your ability and your thinking. 

June 20,2017

Yesterday after tutor gave me some suggestion, I found the direction of interest. I was interested in using plants to make some signs or devices. But I think it is also a challenge for me, because like sign, we usually use arrow to tell people direction, it hard to make some creative on it. For me, only one way for me to make something different is using different plants to build a sign, but I think it is like gardening, it is not a kind of creation.

I had a tutorial today, I found I have a serious problem is that I am easily fall into one way to think about a problem, like tutor gave us some advice that we can explore signs, then I just consider signs but forgot that the keyword is device not sign. Yesterday, I just thought about how to use plants to build a creative sign, but now I now I know I should consider more, like go to Camley Street Natural Park to explore wildlife, colour even the  textile of plants.

A device for a place should fit in the atmosphere at here, like the way of present, colour, format and so on, and then think about the creativity. Thinking about a design should be comprehensive, only conside one side of it is far from enough.

June 19,2017

Today we started a new project named THIS PLACE.

THIS PLACE is sound like a three-dimensional project, but I need to use this theme to do graphic. It gave me a peculiar feeling. It like gave a project to a person who do not know this profession completely. But when the day of class is over, my brain started to relax and I suddenly think about my previous work. I used to do graphic design, but I get more inspiration after I built up a sculpture, I suddenly cheer up because past experience told me that graphic and three-dimension can bring together.

Also I am always confused by the superficial meaning of the theme. I should jump out of the box, open my mind instead of thinking about a problem in one aspect. Like this project, because my narrow mind, I wasted some time to worry and felt anxious.

June 16,2017

Today, tutor introduced some artists to us. The artist who gave the deepest impression was Daniel Buren. The idea of his creation is "on-site", this means that his place of creation is where his work is displayed. This was the first point he let me have different understanding of drawing. The second point is he do not drawing in a noral way, he uses his iconic art symbol----white and colour stripe to cover on different object. This action turned drawing from graphic into three-dimensional.

And we drew in different ways today. By drawing objects negative space to create a painting made me see in a new way. We used to draw things in their postive sapce, it is the most common way we draw. But now, it was completely different, we draw the place between object and object, its effect was different from the normal way,  it was really interesting. It made me think about drawing should be always be innovated, like the way of drawing. 

June 15,2017

Yang Yang
14 June 2017, 11:38 PM
1 comment