July 24,2017

-Develop three themes and make them visually.
It is a challenge for me to develop a theme for myself, because I need to consider the feasibility of this theme, also the development space of this theme, not like usual, this time there are lots of factor to think about.
Also how to make you thinking visually is another challenge. Because, we usually depend on writing to explain our ideas, it is the first time for me to do a visual explanation. For this visual explanation, tutor suggested us to make a collage, but they the collage he showed us are very creative, it is a outcome for the artist, but for us it is like we make a mind map like a collage outcome, it is very challenging.

July 26,2017

-Today, I went to the Natural History Museum and Wellcome Collection to do some research.
-Mainly investigate the sea life and memory, in the meantime, tried to find something about mental health in these two places. About the sea life, I took some pictures of skeletons and specimens of marine life, because I want to know more about the species in the sea and find more pattern on the sea life. About memory, I found some knowledge about the memory of brain in Natural History Museum and some artwork can link to memory in Wellcome Collection.

Improvement:
-Have a more detailed plan, like which exhibition we should visit first, ensure we finish the exhibition related to our theme first, if there is extra time, we can visit the rest.
-In the visit, we not only need to take photo, but also do some sketches.

Plan:
-Sorting out the photos were taken today.
- Print the pictures and stick them on the sketchbook. Write a concise overview of the purpose and meaning of each photo or a series of photo which taken by me.
-Think about what can I develop from the research I did today and write them down.
- Continue investigate the artists related to my theme. Find more inspiration, find the theme have more development space.

July 28,2017

-Consider the audiences, the location and sustainability.
-Decide a theme you want to develop.

I was struggle with two themes, one is about memory, another one is the sea life. The reason I struggle is I interested in both theme, I have lots of thoughts on both theme. I asked tutor for help, he told me if I am working on memory, I will be a curator, collecting plenty of old things and my creation will be based on the material I collected. As for the sea life, it is more about my imagination and creativity. But also, there are some questions for the sea life. Why I develop my sea life into monster, because there is no monster in the world, why I create the thing do not exist? What is monster meaning to us?

Plan:
- Measure the development potential of both themes.
-Decide the final theme. Think about the audience, the location and sustainability.
-Do further research.

July 31,2017

Improvement:
-The theme is too wide, should be more specified. Arouse people’s awareness of protecting environment is too superficial, also it should be related to my discipline.
-More research about graphic.

Plan:
-Research a certain place, research its pollution and species.
-Figure out what you want to express.
-Organize the language, make it clear in proposal.

August 2,2017

-I am very enjoyed the process, although I met some troubles such as had an unclear direction for the project. Because this is my choice, I do not have any reluctant. I am willing to overcome any difficulty for it.
-I found it is hard to explore cultural context for pollution. Because it is a global issue, it has nothing to do with boundaries and races. However, for the direction I want to develop, I think maybe there are interesting cultural context, like what is monster mean to different countries.
-Materials. I am worried about collecting the material from water physically. We know the water has been polluted, but I am not sure I can collect the material I expected. Because there will be someone clean up waterway regularly. So, I think I may reduce the amount of rubbish in my work, but thinking a more perfect solution to make my outcome.
-At first, I was fascinated by the pattern on sea life, but with the development of my research, I found pattern cannot link to my discipline very well, this theme is more suitable for fashion students. Then, I found many artists use the material which they collected from
Polluted water created installations or drawings. I think it is a better starting point, so, I put my focus on pollution. What can I create graphic design with polluted water? What can I do for polluted water? How to express my thought in my design?
-In my plan, I want to create my own character and make up a story. All these things need to be modified constantly, they cannot be done overnight. Also, I need time to collect material. Protecting environment is duty to everyone. So, I am sure it is suitable.
-As I said above, cultural context is the hardest part. Because it is a global issue.

August 4,2017

Today we had a printing workshop.
My original idea is draw my character first, then scan them on computer, finally use printer print it out. I never think about using different techniques to print. But I started to think about it today and tried linocut print.
The effect of printing is better than imagined. Especially the one which colouring unevenly. Because my character is a three-eyes fish, it is hideous, so, the uneven colour created a thrilling atmosphere which is match to the fish’s characteristic.
I always want to try screen printing, because I never do this. I was also planned to make screen printing today, but my three-eyes fish has lots of details, it is too difficult to cut the details and control the positive and negative space, also, in my opinion, screen printing is suitable for big scale graphic design and typography.
I am going to create more characters in the weekend that I can do more experimentation with them.

August 9,2017

-Paper
-Clay
-Mesh
-Water.
-I was going to use plastic as my main material, but from the research I did these day, I think I will use plastic in somewhere but not all my work. I want to present my characters and the polluted situation underwater, so, the main thing is the mutated animals and polluted water, plastic just a little part in polluted water. I have thought of using plastic to make mutated animals, but if I want the effect is completely reach what I expect, it takes long time, our project is not long but not short, I think what I chose should suitable for the time.
- My theme is about pollution, so, what I do will try to be as environmental friendly as possible.
-My priority material is paper, I need to know some principle about making paper.

IMG_4471.JPG.1IMG_4472.JPG

August 14,2017

• It is a challenge to introduce such a long-time project briefly by a poster, and I cannot develop my poster following through on my ides, because we have asked to what should be included.
  • I think present at least 3 research references are the hardest part for me, because I develop my project by my own imagination basically, I had some artist research, but they are similar or you cannot realize what I got from the research.
  • Improve my ability in all aspects, like the research skill and time management.
  • Always keep your work simply, clear, and special.
  • I am a graphic student, so, I need to have a good command of these software in the future to help me layout, print and design. It is good to have some basic knowledge about these technical skills that I will get started faster in future.

August 16, 2017

-They thought the text is not quite interesting. To be honest, I think it is no interesting indeed. It is a science report, the metaphor is the only thing which not so serious. So, the text I find have to be more attractive in the next week.

-The metaphor attracted me the most. When I saw this sentence, I form an image in my brain. I used to think the rubbish is the accumulation, but actually they are floating in every place in the ocean. It corrects my understanding of marine pollution. It helps me to modify a more real situation underwater.

August 18,2017

-Thinking about the material of the board used to support. I was suggested that using carton to support the homemade paper. Because using waste carton is waste utilization, it can reflect the theme of environmental protection. However, carton is thick, it is a bit different to make it bend, even if it is bend, the crease is not always straight. To reduce the probability of error, I decide to use other material.
I chose foam board finally, because it is tough but easy to cut, I also can buy different sizes of it. I do not need to worry about the size of it, it is a kind of time-saving.

-The most important part of the installation is homemade paper and how to place my characters. I do not just only draw on the wall of box, I was also planned to make use of both size of paper, one side is normal animal, another side is mutated animal. I am going to hang them on the roof on the box and use different length of transparent rope to present animals in different depth in the ocean.

August 22,2017

Today is making day.

-Prepare the cardboard to support the homemade paper and cut them down according the size I measured.

-Keep collecting rubbish.

-Continue making homemade paper.

Plan:

-Pack inside and outside the box with waste newspaper and homemade paper.

- Reduce the size of the actual waste.

August 24,2017

Today I had a tutorial about my final.

The tutor said the biggest problem of my outcome is the scale. She thinks it is too small and I got lots of material, I did not make good use of them. Also, she thinks audience cannot see the details because of the small scale. What’s more, why it should be a box, why it cannot be others interesting shape.

A first, I want to make a big box, but I afraid the material is not enough and it takes at least three days to make homemade paper that is why I made them small and made them more. Also, I think the import of pollutants from many rivers into the ocean has led to serious pollution of the original marine pollution, so, I made the boxes more than one. But when I make them, I found that I worried too much, the material

About audience cannot see the details, I made some characters today and I tried to put some characters in it to see if I can see the character clearly, after my trying, although they are small, I am sure that audiences can definitely see the details.

Talking to the shape of the box, why it is square, the tutor thinks square cannot make her think of the water. For me, the fish tank in aquarium is square and we can see the situation inside without dead angle.

August 29,2017

-Took photography of my final outcome.

-Had a lesson about cover design and Indesign.

From today's book cover lesson, I saw a lot of style. Some of them used picture as the main element, some of them used character as the main element. When the tutor showing us different covers, I was thinking about how to present my cover. I felt a little confoused, because I did not have an image can summarize my project and I did not have a unifiend tone in my project to colour the typeface. After class, I think it is better to use character as the main element, because a short word can summarize the whole theme clearly, I do not force myself to use a image as the backgroud, sometimes a white background is not a bad choice.  

August 31,2017

-Had a tutorial about publication.

Problem:
-Did not use Indesign.
-No grid.

One tutor said that it is about paper layout, photoshop is a picture processor, I should not use it to make publication.

Another tutor said he think it is fine to use photoshop to make publication, because we have lots of picture to process, photoshop can help us process the photos in a short time.

I think when we have limited time, the best way to finish a thing quick and perfect relatively is combine two software. Only use Indesign is a one-track minded behavior. I did not have Indesign software on my computer before Wednesday, I cannot do nothing at home because I had no Indesign. Under these circumstances, I must do something on other software to help me catch up.

September 1,2017

Last day.
-Finish publication.
-Finish final evaluation.

Publication:
From this publication, it is vividly shows art is a subjective matter. One tutor said it is good, it is fine, but another tutor said I do not like it, you need to change. Classmate and I think it looks not so good, but tutor think it is better after I changed.

Sometimes there are too many voice that you do not know what you should follow. After I printed my brochure out, I do not think it reach what I expected. Because my picture style is not particularly uniform, it makes me feel they lack continuity. It looks not so professional.

Final evaluation:
-Many sentences are too short. I can integrate sentences with similar content.
-Some content is too general, they should be more specific.
-More about my own feeling.

Final Evaluation

Writing proposal on my own helped me clearly know what is the project intention, what should I do, how to manage my time. When processing my proposal, I did plenty of research which gave me lots of interesting idea of this project. The research about different environmental artists like Max Liboiron and Anthony Burrill inspiring me most, they let me know pollutant and rubbish can turn into art.

Inspired by the research I did. I did experimentation on waste and my final are three boxes made by rubbish. I consider that they are suitable for display in gallery, because lots of audiences can have interact with it and they can improve their environmental awareness from the introduction text beside the work. Basically, the process of developing my ideas is research first, and then do experiment and artist respond, after that, I would research again to develop more idea, finally, choose one of them, make sample for it and make it as final outcome.

If time permits, I usually make a model for every project. Because what is done is not completely the same as what is expected. I need to make a sample first, to make sure the making process is all right, the probability of a product error is low. Like this time, I made a model and from the model I found I need to leave some space for the thickness. I think I have better time management than before, because I used less days to finish my final piece which is I unexpected. In the past, I did not start to do the task until last minutes which make me very streeful, but now, I followed the plan every day which lighten my burden at end of term.

The most challenging thing in this project was making plenty of homemade paper in a short time and make them into the shape I want. Because I do not have a blender, making paper pulp became very difficult, I must tear forty a few waste papers into tiny pieces by hand. To achieve the aim, I overcame the difficulty by patience, Publication is not a big problem for a graphic student, but Indesign is more professional software, it need time to explore. So, I did my publication in Photoshop. Actually, I hope I have more time to do publication and try to use Indesign.

Reflection is a record of my rethinking. It is a proof of I do reflect on myself every day. In my view, it is not so important to use reflective journal, the most significate thing is the process of reflecting and a conclusion drawn from reflective journal. Summarize the whole project in concise language is a big challenge. English is foreign language for me, how to use precise words and clear logic should be improved gradually. So, I spent a long time on language organization.

From this project, I think my practical ability has been greatly improved. Because from experimentation to making, they are all hand made. Unit 7 is an independent project. From the beginning to the end, everything is done by ourselves. To finish this whole project, it needs all aspects of competence which is invisible requirement when we are studying at university. College’s study need us independent study and self-management. These abilities are all needed for this unit. Like time management, self-control, and so on. This unit is a kind of transition to undergraduate course. 

July 25,2017

-Think about the political and cultural meaning of my three themes.
-Had a tutorial, talked about three themes, tutor gave different aspect to inspire me, gave me advice about which exhibition or place suitable for my project.

Improvement:
-My three themes are memory, sea life and dream respectively.
-For memory, I want to research more about intangible cultural heritages, because it is too normal to present the memory in our brain, it is just a story, but what is the meaning behind these stories. So, the context needs depth, I think the things disappeared gradually in modern society is an interesting aspect, it is about a generation’s memory, it belongs to everyone, it is not personal, like tradition, architecture, dialect and so on. So for this theme, I have a clear direction of investigation, basically, I will focus on the things gradually disappeared in China, because compared to other countries’ culture, I know more about my own country, I can know what can I research, which aspect I can develop.
-For the sea life theme, the pattern on the sea life is interesting, but I can think more about the problem of ocean, like pollution, overfishing, start with a political point. Because I develop another from the sea life which is monster, I think the sea life, pollution and monster can have a good combination, it is a nice starting point.
-For dream, it is more about nightmare, nightmare also can combine with monster, but I want to present the situation about the attitude of people treat psychopath. It is seemed a little bit hard to research, but maybe I can find some material from tomorrow visit or find some books about psychology from library.

Plan:
-Select an exhibition suitable to research these three themes.
-Develop more political and cultural meaning of my threes themes.
-Find inspiration from tomorrow visit.

July 27,2017

Methods and materials
For a graphic student, my basic idea is about the most common form of graphic design. Like booklet, packaging, poster and so on. But I think it is too basic, I should always challenge myself. I should challenge the area I rarely get touch to. Like interactive installation, it will be interesting, graphic through image to communicate with audiences, but I think if audiences can play with them it will be a better interaction, because audiences can touch it can feel it, using different organs of body to feel the object, they may have better understanding of the object I designed.
As for material, I think paper is the most necessary and significant material for me. But the texture of paper is point of this material. Also, cardboard and corrugated paper can be the candidate material. I think I also need plastic and other gum material, because plastic is tougher than paper, also this material will not be deformed by water, I think I might use water in my outcome, so I need the material protect my paper.
I went to the material library, but most of them are about fabric, it is suitable for my first interested to the sea life pattern, but fashion is not my discipline, I should turn the content to my subject. So, the material can be the thing in my experiment but not the final outcome. I should continue research different.

August 1,2017

-Improve the proposal.
-Correct the format of bibliography etc..
-Had a tutorial about proposal.

Improvement:
-Modify the syntax and logical errors of the proposal.
-Develop more idea from the suggestion which tutor gave me.

Plan:
-Continue to improve the format of bibliography and other resources.
-Explore more research according to the frame I did today.
-According to my proposal, it is time to collect material and do some experimentation and design.

August 3,2017

-The last day to modify the proposal.
-Had a tutorial about what needs to be improved.

Improvement:
-Change the description of theme and title, because it seems too wide.
-Think about what experiment I will do, making it more clearly.
-Develop more ideas about the outcome.
-Not only do research online, but also go to library to find more books.
-Research more science aspect.

Plan:
-Organize the material I collect at weekend.
-It is time to collect the material I need.
-Prepare to do some experimentation for my project.

August 7,2017

-Today, I was continued to make linocut printing. But I tried to do some changes on the paper I want to print. Because I want to make contrast between normal creatures and mutated creatures.

Improvement:
-Explore different ways to show one techquie.
-Speed up.
-Doing experimentation and research in the same time.

Plan:
-The last day to explore linocut printing, making some differences on lino I cut.
-After finishing the exploration of linocut printing, start a new plan, make experimentation on paper.
-Going to collect rubbish in the cancel.

August 8,2017

-Tutor gave me some references about practitioners. I found some interesting artwork in the references. Like Thomas Grünfeld, he combines two different animals in one body. He wants to produce new hybrid species, but in my view, they are like mutated animals in a way. Also, tutor suggested me to create my characters crazier and stranger. So, I start to combine different marine animals part in one body. I want to make them look aggressive and terrible, but somehow, they still look cute. I think I need to change my style to reach my aim.

Improvement:
-Draw more and more characters, make them more different than normal animals.
-Do not just use black and white to draw them. Try to use colour to describe their colour and texture of skin.
-Think about how to place my characters. Do some research.
-Think about what kind of material should I use to make my characters.

August 10,2017

-I stopped creating new characters today. Because I have 11 characters now, I think I am doing illustration instead of graphic design, so, I need to think about how to use these characters in my design.

-I searched some artists on internet, to study how they deal with the polluted things in their artwork. I think the polluted water popsicles is the most interesting research so far. Because what they made is amazing, like a real delicious popsicle, actually, they made by polluted water from each polluted area in Taiwan. I am going to develop some creative idea like them to place my characters.

August 11,2017

I signed up for screen printing workshop yesterday, but I found it is for fabric today. I was a bit nervous and confused, because I was not going to print on fabric and we need to finish some work for one-day workshop. It took me a long time to think about how to show mutation on fabric printing. I really had no idea what should I do, because I had no preparation for this thing. Then I did some research to inspire me. I think my mind is a little bit narrow after I found Katharine Hamnett’s slogan tee. I do not have to put pattern on fabric, I can put a slogan or letters on fabric. I was told that I did too little today, I know what I did is not enough, but everything was too suddenly for me, it was no in my plan, I feel really sorry for everything today.

August 15,2017

I read the feedback carefully and I notice tutor remind me that do not turn my theme into fashion accessories.

I think I need to explain it. Like I wrote on the brief, I want to combine different discipline with my subject, so, when I develop my ideas, I will try to think about what will happen if I collaborate a discipline that is different subject. Then I am going to do small experimentation to see how the result.

I agreed with the tutor, I do think it is a good idea to develop my theme into fashion accessories. I just want to show my thinking while developing this project.

However, I think what I sketched is not totally nothing to do with my theme. Talking to pollution, people might think about environmental organizations, when they organize to go to the event, they will wear a uniform clothing which show the name of their organization and slogan. In my view, the name and the slogan on their clothing is belong to typography in a way, typography is belonging to graphic design!

I will focus on graphic design in the future and then in the case of conditions permit, combined with different subjects to develop my theme.

August 17,2017

-Have a preliminary plan for the final outcome.
-On Monday, the tutor gave me advice that I can make a strange two-dimensional installation by using homemade paper, but what I want to do is three-dimensional installation, so, I develop my idea in sketchbook.

Improvement:
-How to use these fragile papers make the shape I want it to be.
-Think about what kind of rubbish will pollute water.
-How and where should I place my characters?
-Think about what colour I should use.

August 21,2017

-Rethink the material I was planned to use. Decided to use more recycled material, like cardboard. Because my theme is about protecting environment, foam board cannot be recycled, if I use foam board, it against my theme.

-About how to make the character, it is not necessary to make the mutated animals look too real, having too much details. Just keep it simple and make use of the colour on the homemade paper.

August 23,2017

IMG_4749.JPG

IMG_4750.JPG

August 25,2017

Today I finish my final outcome, although they were finished, if I have a chance to remake them, I think there are some place can be improved.

-It can be bigger, but not too big. Because now is a little hard for me to make too detailed things in such a short time.

-Make more to show there are lots of source of pollution.

-The hold on the roof of the box can be smaller, because if the hole is too big, it is hard to keep an appropriate distance from other holes.

August 30,2017

-Tutorial about editorial text.

-Continue making publication.

IMG_4743.JPG.3

IMG_4744.JPG.2 

Following the feedback, I wrote a new editorial text yesterday. Tutor said the new structure is better, if I change some words round, the sentence sounds much better and I should try to simplify some sentence. I always like to make things complicated, I should learn to simplify everything, not only on writing, but also on graphic design.